Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Another Bumper Donation From Supporters Club

18 August 2014

We are once again grateful for the support we continue to receive from the Lincoln & District Football Supporters Club after they handed over another bumper donation.

Since its formation in 1952, the Lincoln & District Football Supporters Club have raised well over £1.5million for the Imps and this was increased further at our game against Kidderminster Harriers when their representatives Mike Pryor and Brian Baldam presented Chairman Bob Dorrian with a cheque for £2,000.

Originally founded as the Lincoln City Supporters Club, the principal objective of the supporters club was to raise money for the Football Club, and their first donation was £50 for a new playing kit in August 1952. 

The supporters club handed over £1,500 for concrete terracing on the Sincil Bank side and, in 1957, they paid for a roof to be put on the 'Spion Kop' section of the railway end. Three years later they embarked on a campaign to raise £16,000 to install floodlights at Sincil Bank.

Although membership peaked at 5,700, a downturn the team's fortunes in the 1960s saw this figure decline, although their fundraising activities continued and by May 1959 more than £11,500 had been handed over to the parent club.

In 1961 former trade union official Ben Sullivan was appointed as a full-time organiser and this led to an increase in fundraising when he launched regular bingo sessions and took control of the lottery.

In September 1965, Sullivan took up a similar role with Newcastle United and he was replaced by Brian Baldam who, almost 50 years later, is still at the forefront of the club's fundraising activities today.

Regular donations to the parent club continued, but a disagreement in the summer of 1973 saw the supporters club split from the parent club and renamed itself the Lincoln & District Football Supporters Club. A reconciliation took place soon after Dennis Bocock resigned as chairman of the Board in April 1974.

The club hired premises at the Drill Hall and the Lincoln Liberal Club, where the bingo sessions took place, whilst they also raised money via their Christmas Raffle and Grand National Sweepstake draws.

Their total donation to the Football Club reached £1 million in April 1991 and in November 2003, their 'Double Chance Lottery' was combined with the Football Club's 'Birthday Lotto', which not only resulted in greater prize monies and the reduced running cost of only one lottery but it also brought in greater revenue to the Football Club.

In addition to their much valued fundraising, the Lincoln & District Football Supporters Club has also organised the ballot for the Football Club's "Player of the Season" since it conception in the 1969/70 season.


Advertisement block